Ford Motor Company is known for its wide range of vehicles, from cars to heavy trucks. The Ford Transit is known as a commercial van but sold as a passenger vehicle in Europe and Asia. That’s why a lot of businesses were asking, “How long is a ford transit van?
The standard length of the Ford Transit van is 15 feet; however, it can be extended to 18 feet. While the overall length has not changed, the wheelbase (distance between the front and rear wheels) was reduced on some models for better stability.
The First Generation Ford Transit
The first generation of the Ford Transit was manufactured from 1965 until 1978. During this time, there were many changes in the features and design of the van. In 1978, the Transit engine started with the 2.5 liter V4, with eight valves. From 1978 until 1980, there were no significant changes to the Ford Transit.
The Second Generation Ford Transit
Ford launched a second generation of the Transit that featured improved aerodynamics and several new options, including power steering, alloy wheels, intermittent wipers, front washers, and a more comfortable driver’s seat. The overall length stayed consistent with previous models at 15 feet while its wheelbase was extended to 115 inches.
The Third Generation Ford Transit
The third generation of the Ford Transit was manufactured from 1994 until 2000 and was a complete redesign of the previous model. The engines included in this generation were both four and six-cylinder units. In contrast, the body styles had a panel van, minibus, cutaway cab chassis, and a double-cab cab chassis. In addition, the length of the Ford Transit was extended to 155 inches, and its wheelbase stayed consistent at 115 inches.
The Fourth Generation Ford Transit
The fourth generation of the Ford Transit launched in 2000 and had a 21% increase in total sales from the previous generation. Several changes were made, including increased engine power output, larger body panels, and a wider track. In addition, the overall length of the Ford Transit was increased to 170 inches while focusing on maintaining its 115-inch wheelbase.
The Current Ford Transit Generation
Ford introduced the fifth generation of the Ford Transit in 2014 with an all-new exterior design that included configurable cargo space in its cargo van model along with a re-engineered suspension system. This gave the Transit more stability when towing larger loads while maintaining an overall smooth ride for both driver and passengers. The length of the Ford Transit was increased to 192 inches, with a wheelbase reaching 133 inches in crew van models, 148 in cutaway models, and 170 in chassis cab models.
Ford’s standard length of a ford transit van is 15 feet with an extended length to 18 feet. The wheelbase of the Ford Transit van remains at 115 inches from generation to generation.
Why is Ford Transit Van appealing to Businesses?
More than one-third of the world’s leading businesses prefer to use Ford Transit vans instead of their competitors’.
Businesses prefer Ford Transit vans because of a few reasons:
1. It has increased engine power output, larger body panels, and a wider track.
2. The current generation of the Ford Transit also focuses on maintaining the 115-inch wheelbase.
3. The Ford Transit comes in several body styles, including a panel van, minibus, cutaway cab chassis, and a double-cab cab chassis.
4. The length of the ford transit is 15 feet with an extended length to 18 feet, which means it has enough space to carry more passengers or goods to transport.
5. Ford Transit focuses on maintaining its 115-inch wheelbase, allowing businesses to tow larger loads while still enjoying a smooth ride.
6. The front cross-member holds many components, including the radiator, air conditioning condenser, power steering pump, cooling fan, and suspension strut.
7. The windows can easily be converted to match the needs of the business.
8. The Ford Transit van has configurable cargo space in its cargo van model, which provides more options for businesses.
9. A full-size cargo van offers a unique blend of flexible cargo-carrying solutions and class-leading fuel efficiency to maximize your productivity.
10. The Ford Transit is a full-size cargo van that offers a unique blend of flexible cargo-carrying solutions and class-leading fuel efficiency to maximize your productivity.
The Ford Transit is a vehicle that has been around for decades, so it’s no surprise to see them still on the road today. This type of vehicle has been appealing to small and large businesses because it has a wide range of configurations and the ability to seat more than 15 people. As a result, this van has many uses.
If you are asking, “How Long is a Ford Transit Van?” The three different lengths available are 160 inches long, 187 inches long, and 213 inches long. The good thing about this vehicle is it has conversion windows that will fit your requirements.
So, contact us whether you are looking at converting your current van into an RV or finding new windows for your existing one! We at RV Windows have everything from single-hung conversion windows to sliding glass doors and more.
Give us a call today if you want to give your old transit some new life with newer, better functioning equipment!